Here are some great tips for getting back into the passion zone. I suggest you print out this page and then use a highlighter to highlight things on this list that you would like to undertake. Then go to the instructions at the bottom of the page.
- Get around people who are passionate. Ask for their advice. Tell them your story and see what you can learn to help you.
- Ask your board or your boss to reconfigure your job responsibilities so you are doing what you love.
- Have a gut check about what you are pursuing and what you really love. You might want to take some assessments like Strengthsfinder 2.0 or the DISC Test to analyze yourself at this stage of your career.
- Get some counseling or therapy. Swallow your pride and admit to yourself and those close to you that you need some professional help with your heart. Many times we cannot fix ourselves.
- Get more in touch with your Emotional Intelligence. Read, Immunity to Change: How to Overcome it and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization – Kegan, Robert and Lisa Laskow Lahey
- Go for advanced training in your field. Get qualified to be promoted or to make a lateral move within your place of employment.
- Go back to school on the side for an advanced degree. Ask your employer to pay for it, which they are often pleased to do.
- Take a sabbatical to rediscover your heart. Perhaps you are just burned out and need a break and a restart. Go away to a retreat center where you can get alone with God and also have some help from a counselor. Here in Colorado we have two great places: Quiet Waters and The Potters Inn. They both love to help pastors and people in ministry who need help.
- Ask God to revive your heart. Spend more time with Him. Read books and listen to talks on reviving your heart for God. Listen to my Leadership Answer Man Podcast #15, “Reviving the Leader’s Heart.”
- Hire consultants to help you with your leadership problems. If you are plagued on your team with problems that can’t seem to be solved, then get outside help.
- Get a career coach to help you. This is an exploding industry. Be sure to get recommendations from someone that has had a good experience, since not all career coaches are equal.
- Hire consultants to help turn around your organization’s failure. Sometimes the problem is not in the leadership team, but on the extremities of your organization. Get help with the issues that are plaguing you.
- Feed your heart with great books and seminars. One of the best ways to guard your heart is to feed your heart.
- Get back out on the front lines from time to time. How much time are you spending in your office or working solo on your massive leadership headaches? Get some fresh air out there on the front lines and be reminded of what you are trying to accomplish in your job.
- Seek personal renewal in your relationship with God. This might be the place to start.
Ok, how many did your highlight? What is your action plan for ONE THING you will do in the next month to move forward toward your passion zone? Write you answer here: